The biggest thing I took away from this semester's course was learning to think outside of the box. Design is an iterative process, unlike a math course there is no one right answer. I realize that I tend to look at everyday appliances and devices in a new light. Simple things such as an alarm clock, coffee maker, or even a chair requires numerous iterations to achieve a desired design. This class was unique for me compared to other informatics courses I have been taking because it demands a sense of creativity. A designer is free to explore his/her mind and come up with a concept he/she feels suitable for society, then iterate over it to find the best possible solution, minding the trade-offs. Furthermore, this class proved that working in a team is essential, not just for the completion of projects, but in the real world as well. Working with people and collaborating with them is a skill, it is not something that you're good at just by waking up one morning, and I feel this class proved that fact throughout the course of the semester. At first I was not a big fan of HCI Design, but through the culmination of the course I have had a change of heart. It's cool to find new ways to make a coffee table or to transport water for third world countries because it's for the betterment of society as a whole. As you noted in your post 'When will you stop taking from the planet and give something back instead?' I think everyone can learn from giving back to the world rather than taking everything we can get our hands on, to be humane in other words. Basically, design is fun. Coming up with new innovative designs for applications can be a self-satisfying endeavor.
- Mik Patel
Monday, April 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment