In regards to less is more for our redesign of the treadmill, something I would eliminate would be the column on the right of our design that was just a sticker list of health things that was a component of the original design. I found it unnecessary on the device, it could have been better utilized by filling it with more options that gave the user more control over the treadmill.
--Britni Posthuma--
I'm glad the episode underlined the importance of users' wants vs designers ideals. It is the designers duty to distinguish what is best for them even if they do not know it exactly.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if replacing a list of health things with more buttons and controls is really what would best benefit the user. Do they actually need more control? If so, what of? Maybe, if your design was sufficiently simple and elegant already, the best thing to do would be to get rid of the column and not replace it with anything.